[ros-users] Announcing rosdashboard

Felix Kaser kaserf at in.tum.de
Wed Jul 18 23:43:09 UTC 2012

On 2012-07-18 19:54, Dustin Gooding wrote:

> Hi Felix,
>
> This looks like an interesting project.  We might be using it to meet a
> short-term goal.
>
> Where do you define how arbitrary data is displayed when it's published
> from logdata()?
Hi Dustin,

what exactly is your short-term goal? I'm really interested in every
possible use case.

The purpose of logdata was to publish more complex data. E.g. if you
want to publish a message which contains a couple of fields at once, you
can use logdata. There are no special widgets for it right now, but you
can add one widget per data field and connect each widget to a different
field in the message.

Example:
Your message looks like this:
'''
float32 acceleration
int32 mode
string currentStatus
'''

You can log this data with:
'''
#build data message
data = YourMessage()
data.acceleration = 3.7
data.mode = 5
data.currentStatus = 'running smoothly'

#log message
rosdashboard.logdata('accelerationStatus', data, YourMessage)
'''

To display the data you can either create your own widget (I'm still
working on that part) or add three widgets to the dashboard. You can
connect them to the published topic by setting the topic to
"/rosdashboard/accelerationStatus" and the datafield respectively to
"acceleration", "mode" or "currentStatus".

Did that answer your question or only raise more questions? The process
still has some rough edges which I'm trying to find and smooth out.

I've wikified the example with a screenshot here:
https://github.com/kaserf/rosdashboard/wiki/Publish-and-Display-Arbitrary-Data

Cheers
Felix