[ros-users] Uservoice-like Suggestions Page

Eric Perko wisesage5001 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 19:26:34 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 3:11 PM, Ken Conley <kwc at kwc.org> wrote:

> -1
>
> Reasons:
>
>  * Too many ways to communicate.  There are already too many misuses
> of ros-users/Answers/Trac, we don't need to complicate the flowchart
> even more.
>  * Every extra piece of infrastructure takes time to maintain --
> maintenance, bug fixes, features requests, etc...  More infrastructure
> == less time spent on new features for ROS.
>
> If you want to request a feature, it really should be in a ticket
> tracker -- or, even better, a patch should be attached.

-1

For the same reasons as above. Enhancement tickets are the best place for
smaller feature requests. Larger ones can start in SIGs or on ros-users.

One thing that could give the same functionality without overly
complicating the workflow would be something like the VotePlugin for Trac (
http://trac-hacks.org/wiki/VotePlugin). An alternative could be some
guidelines like, if you are interested in an open enhancement ticket, add
yourself to the CC list. That way, if we want to see which tickets are most
desired, we could look for the tickets with the most people CC'd (with the
added bonus that people that are interested are kept up to date via email
and could test/comment as the ticket progresses).

- Eric