[ros-users] Uservoice-like Suggestions Page

Jonathan Bohren jonathan.bohren at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 19:49:53 UTC 2012

On Jul 19, 2012 9:11 PM, "Ken Conley" <kwc at kwc.org> wrote:

> If you want to request a feature, it really should be in a ticket
> tracker -- or, even better, a patch should be attached.

Considering the small size of many of the ros package development teams,
most of the time I submit tickets, bugfixes, feature requests to issue
trackers of projects, it feels like they're going into a black hole.

I've even gone to submit a bugfix (with an attached patch) on a project's
issue tracker once, only to find that someone else had submitted a similar
fix half a year earlier that was never dealt with.

On the other side of it, when I was going through a very busy period, I
didn't put much time into maintaining some ros software that I had written,
myself.

I think the hyperdistributed nature of the ros ecosystem really needs
something more than a hundred independent issue trackers. I understand that
distributed version control can help, but if everyone just forks a project
when they feel like their issues/tickets aren't getting addressed in a
timely manner, then it's just going to lead to severe fragmentation. And
even worse, if all the forks of a given stack aren't listed on ros.org,
only the repo for the stale one will end up getting used by others, and the
efforts will have been wasted.

Does anyone else feel like we need some better way to coordinate these
things to prevent code death or such fragmentation from happening to the
ros community? My recent experiences have made me concerned for the future
health of the ecosystem.

-j