[ros-users] Uservoice-like Suggestions Page

Thibault Kruse kruset at in.tum.de
Thu Jul 19 21:32:15 UTC 2012

On 07/19/2012 09:49 PM, Jonathan Bohren wrote:
> Considering the small size of many of the ros package development
> teams, most of the time I submit tickets, bugfixes, feature requests
> to issue trackers of projects, it feels like they're going into a
> black hole. [...]
>
> -j

A single feature list with voting is not the cure for that symptom, I
believe.

> Does anyone else feel like we need some better way to coordinate these
> things to prevent code death or such fragmentation from happening to
> the ros community? My recent experiences have made me concerned for
> the future health of the ecosystem.

I think it could help to have an automated map of stacks and their
maintainers,
along with a statistics of how the tickets for those stacks are dealt
with (Average defect age, number of open defects, etc.).
That way it is easier to identify which stacks are orphaned or have a
maintainer who needs assistance.

Such a map can also be used to tell how many open tickets individuals
have, seen over all
considered stacks, showing the people who should either spend more time
on ticket closing
or finding someone to help with or take over maintenance.

Given that trac also serves csv files, that should not be too difficult
to achieve, technically, once the meta-data has been collected.