[ros-users] resolving open REP-0122 issues

Dirk Thomas dthomas at willowgarage.com
Tue Jul 24 19:19:56 UTC 2012

I am currently working on catkin and trying to get it in shape for a review.
I am looking for a clean wet-only solution - and on-top of that add necessary stuff for backward compatibility with the dry world.

A new REP would be a very good idea - I would prepare one as soon as I have a thorough understanding of all details and a prototype with the necessary changes.
It would if course be very welcome if you, Jack, (or anybody else) would put together a REP earlier.

The most important issues currently are:
- build-space should be equally usable as install-space (potentially chaining multiple of them without the need to install)
- FHS compliance
- catkin has no notion of a packages anymore (manifests only exist for backward compatibility), missing information must be ported from manifest.xml to stack.xml
- a lot of tools are not working well with the wet world (i.e. rosdep)

Some comments regarding FHS compliance:
Binaries of stacks can be installed in one of the following three locations to conform with the standard:
- lib/STACK-NAME/libexec
   looks like the most preferable solution
- libexec/STACK-NAME
   does not exist on several platform, which make it look weird
- bin
   not favorable since subfolders are not allowed in here

I agree that a tool like roscreate-stack should be created for the next release.

- Dirk