[ros-users] resolving open REP-0122 issues

Dirk Thomas dthomas at willowgarage.com
Tue Jul 24 20:20:56 UTC 2012

Like the previous buildsystem catkin is aware of stacks and processes the stack.xml files.

But in contrast to rosbuild catkin does not know anything about packages.
It only uses CMake projects (which might correspond what has been packages before in a lot of cases - but does not have to).

I.e. a manifest.xml file is just a plain file which usually gets installed.
But it is not treated special in any way. The export tag in a manifest is not used by catkin - these information are handled in CMake and exist only to make dry packages happy.

Currently rosdep does not work for wet stuff since it only used the dependencies from manifest.xml files.
But wet stacks usually don't have them and their stack.xml dependencies are not utilized (yet).

- Dirk