[ros-users] resolving open REP-0122 issues

Dirk Thomas dthomas at willowgarage.com
Tue Jul 24 22:15:50 UTC 2012

On 24.07.2012 13:37, Jonathan Bohren wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 10:20 PM, Dirk Thomas <dthomas at willowgarage.com <mailto:dthomas at willowgarage.com>> wrote:
>
>     Like the previous buildsystem catkin is aware of stacks and processes the stack.xml files.
>
>     But in contrast to rosbuild catkin does not know anything about packages.
>     It only uses CMake projects (which might correspond what has been packages before in a lot of cases - but does not have to).
>

> So... in other words, at the moment, the notion of a "ros package" will cease to exist in Groovy?

I only meant that catkin does not know or do anything with these - they are not threated special in any way.
A manifest.xml is for catkin like i.e. an image - just copied over from source to install when "make install" is called.

>     I.e. a manifest.xml file is just a plain file which usually gets installed.
>

> Right now the manifest.xml is the only thing that defines an atomic build unit in ROS, will this notion just be replaced with CMake projects going forward with the current catkin setup?

The build unit with catkin is the stack.
It contains the "root" CMakeLists.txt for the stack.
Anything inside (like structuring stuff in subfolders) is not relevant for catkin.

For the dry world all artifacts are deployed under the package name.
In a wet-only world I would expect that all artifacts of a stack should reside under a folder named after the stack.
the structure inside the folder is totally up the stack.

- Dirk