[ros-users] resolving open REP-0122 issues

Tully Foote tfoote at willowgarage.com
Wed Jul 25 13:58:45 UTC 2012

Hi All,

I'd like to take a step back from the current discussion because I feel
that there are several somewhat independent issues being talked without
separation.

Of the things being discussed at the moment I have identified the following
4 issues.  First is how are dependency flags passed to new code. Second is
what is the FHS layout.  Third is how do we deal with resources. And 4th is
an issue of modularity and code portability/namespacing.

In the design of the new system we've sought to keep the usability of the
ROS buildsystem while leveraging as much of the standard infrastructure as
possible.

For setting cflags and lflags it is standard to do this in your
CMakeLists.txt  You can set what flags your cmake component exports in that
component.  And then you use the CMake Find components which will pass
those things to you automatically.  This means that people no longer need
to learn a new buildsystem to us ROS, they can just use standard CMake.
    It also means that we no longer have to maintain
the equivalent functionality, which is already built into CMake. (There are
other options we looked at too like pkg-config)  However, by building
catkin on top of CMake we are able to provide much of the niceties of the
ROS build system where you can overlay working copy on top of installed
systems and you can develop and test in build space without requiring
installation to test.

With the FHS layout we are again working toward becoming more standard.  I
believe this is much less controversial, though there's some debate about
the exact layout.  The one thing I would like to point out is that makes
the other requirements much more complicated, especially the capability to
do overlays.

We have always espoused writing libraries which are useable outside of ROS
and then writing ROS wrappers.  By maintaining the pure CMake find modules
infrastructure, we have reached the point that ROS packages when installed
can be used by non-ROS packaged systems.

As we go along this line part of what we are doing is narrowing the
difference is a ROS package and what is a standard software package. Part
of the restructuring of the core ROS dependencies which has gone along with
this has been to cleanly separate the ROS message generation and the ROS
communication infrastructure.  This now allows packages to depend on the
message datatypes without incuring the cost of depending on the runtime
requirements.

We are also responding to a trend we have been watching where we are
releasing more and more unary stacks.  Back in the day when we first added
the concept of stacks many people asked why we had both stacks and
packages.  Jack has relatively concisely stated the primary benefits of
separating the interface unit and the release unit if the release unit
contains multiple interface units.  However if we continue the trend toward
releasing unary stacks this will not be a problem.  The biggest thing that
we need to do for this is to make the release process easier. (Which has
been addressed separately with the bloom package)
      One of the primary motivators for releasing stacks which contained
multiple packages was that we were getting too many packages to keep track
of easily.  By organizing into stacks we were able to decrease the burden
of understanding the dependency tree by decreasing the number of elements
in the tree.  Unfortunately as we keep growing this has become a two fold
issue.  First we now have enough stacks that we have the same problem as we
had before with the packages. And secondly, by bundling packages into the
same release we also bundle their dependencies.  As such we often end up
with significantly more dependencies than might be optimal.  (For example
take one of my stacks geometry, it has dependencies on bullet, eigen, and
kdl to provide convenient converter functions for them, despite only
needing bullet as a core dependency. In packaging it we've chosen to
maintain that grouping for more user friendly operation, but many power
users complain rightlfully that it's significantly bloated.  ) Thus as the
pressure to not bundle dependencies is up and if we can ease the challenge
of releasing the pressure to keep the number of release units down is
lower.  Also from experience, large stacks are a pain to maintain because
the have software inside with very different timelines, and consequently
you have to try to shoehorn them into the same timeline to be able to
release.

The issue of ease of sharing is also a good point. We have many
repositories which have just random unreleased packages which right now is
relatively easy to grab and add to your system from source.  We should make
sure to address this use case.  When actually doing releases with proper
versioning having one release unit per DVCS makes the maintainer's life
easier.  However, it's not required, and we can  make sure to keep it easy
for a researcher to just have a flat repo with many "stacks" in it.

Lastly is the issue of resources (ala launch files, meshes, etc)  With some
of our python module development we have been successfully experimenting
with using python's resource finding libraries and setuptools.  And we have
been discussing creating a rosfind tool(executable and native library) for
finding resources.  This would be the equivilant of 'rospack find' but
implemented to work in the new environment, and support cross-compiling
better.  And as I mentioned in the FHS paragraph this is one of the
complicating cases.  Since we want to follow FHS we need to explicitly
declare what we want to install, and what type of resource it is.  Standard
files, such as libraries, headers, and python source automatically go to
the right place.  However non standard files such as meshes, launch files
etc are what need to be declared to support the install target.

I hope this helps get a bit of perspective on what we've been working
toward.  We are coming up on the freeze, however this discussion and
features are important enought that we can also consider changing the
deadline.  In the last release we had a dual push first to release Fuerte
and then to release Precise support.  Pushing it back to be syncronized
with Ubuntu's release could allow us to avoid the double push and do it at
the same time.  (This is much better as you only need to iterate through
the whole ecosystem once.  )

Tully

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 4:18 AM, Lorenz Mösenlechner <moesenle at in.tum.de>wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 1:00 PM, Jack O'Quin <jack.oquin at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 4:03 AM, Lorenz Mösenlechner <moesenle at in.tum.de>
> wrote:
> >> In addition, I don't think that it is possible to convert all ros
> >> packages to catkin. Catkin is all about building but what about the
> >> packages that don't contain code? There are a lot of packages out
> >> there that contain only launch files and dependencies to build
> >> everything that is necessary to start these launch files. The most
> >> prominent examples would be pr2_bringup or pr2_gazebo. I don't really
> >> see how that is possible in a catkinized world.
> >
> > Those packages will have to be converted, too, because the launch
> > scripts will need to be installed somewhere. In that sense, XML files
> > *are* code.
>
> That is true.  But it's not about installing launch files but about
> managing dependencies and building everything that is necessary.
>
> At the moment, I guess most people have a lot of packages in a
> repository, not necessarily organized in stacks and possibly with some
> packages being broken. In particular, some of the packages are there
> only for specifying dependencies that are required to run something,
> e.g. for bringing up the robot. With rosmake, getting everything built
> that is required for running the robot is easy. With catkin, I would
> either need to build everything in that repo which might not work due
> to broken packages  or I would need to create something like a build
> workspace that symlinks only the packages I want to build. Both
> solutions would require some manual work.
>
> I think one reason for the great success of ros was that it made it
> really easy to use other people's code and get the dependencies
> resolved with just one call to rosmake. With catkin, the user needs to
> be more organized and building something just requires more knowledge
> and more work.
>
> Lorenz
>

> --
> Lorenz Mösenlechner            | moesenle at in.tum.de
> Technische Universität München | Karlstraße 45
> 80335 München                  | Germany
> http://ias.cs.tum.edu/         | Tel: +49 (89) 289-26910

Tully Foote
tfoote at willowgarage.com
(650) 475-2827