[ros-users] resolving open REP-0122 issues

Mac Mason mac at cs.duke.edu
Wed Jul 25 22:34:02 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 10:03 PM, Mac Mason <mac at cs.duke.edu> wrote:
> It may easily be the case that Catkin could be made 95% as easy as
> rosmake; I don't know. One good two-page howto could probably solve
> this. (I haven't read the catkin docs; it may already be done!) The
> important thing here is _this cannot be forgotten, or done badly_.

Now that I've done some Catkin-docs reading
(http://ros.org/wiki/catkin, for the curious), I'm quite a bit happier
than I was. In particular, the migration page
(http://ros.org/doc/fuerte/api/catkin/html/rosbuild_migration.html).

What we still need, I think, is tutorial support: most users are going
to (want to, and therefore try to) avoid the technical documentation.
As long as the migration page stays complete (for those of us already
on the list) and the tutorials page on the wiki provides the
incantation for each thing you need there (for new users), I think
we'll be fine. As before, you don't need to really know any CMake to
use this; you just use a couple of basic commands with obvious names
and plentiful examples.

So I'm happier, anyway.

    --Mac

--