[ros-users] is a native ROS device possible

John Galloway jrg at toasterfish.com
Tue Jun 12 00:16:15 UTC 2012

On Jun 8, 2012,7:55:10 PM PDT, "Jack O'Quin" <jack.oquin at gmail.com> write:

> A big challenge is loading up-to-date firmware versions into the device.
>
> (I believe Morgan mentioned that in his talk.)
> --
>  joq

For sure its an issue.  Just as an FYI, there are designs (e.g. Demand Peripherals http://www.demandperipherals.com/) that manage to dispense with the JTAG stuff and refresh their FPGAs all over USB.  So in theory, I think such a device could be update in place with no cable movement.  Such a sw/firmware update might be encompassed in ROS if it has not been already (report version number etc).  Again security raises its thorny head.
 -jrg