[ros-users] is a native ROS device possible?

John Galloway jrg at toasterfish.com
Fri Jun 8 21:48:58 UTC 2012

On Jun 8, 2012, at 12:00 PM, Morgan Quigley wrote:

> I heartily agree the long-term vision of allowing embedded systems to
> plug-and-play into a live ROS system, where "plugging in" the embedded
> device would be analogous to launching a "typical" ROS node's POSIX
> process. This will require a great deal of work to make possible, but
> it's on my long-term wish list as well.
>
> -Morgan
>
> On Jun 8, 2012, at 12:00 PM, Jonathan Bohnen wrote:
> You can check out his [Morgan's] thoughts on the subject here:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wnab6AjAwc&feature=player_detailpage#t=1648s
>
> Have you looked at rosserial? http://ros.org/wiki/rosserial While I haven't used it, it seems like it gets part of the way there by having embedded devices that talk in ROS messages, and they just connect to a generic rosserial driver on a host machine: http://ros.org/wiki/rosserial_python
> best,
> -j
Thanks guys.  Good video (cool hand!) and rosserial does seem to be along the lines I had in mind.  As for what I'm trying to do, really sort of just thinking about what I might like to try and do actually.  Last time I took a break from employment and was playing with robotics I thought what was really needed to get more folks working at the application level was to make it much much easier to build a robot, which I found rather challenging (more like buying a cpu, motherboard, DIMMs, disks, powersupply and case and building a PC, no soldering required).  So you'd need electro-mechanical subsystems that could plug and play, which ROS (and its brethren) I think are making much more possible now than 6 yeas ago.  So now that I'm between jobs and again thinking about what I want to do when I grow up, I'm just catching up to see where things are, whats going on etc in that general direction (looks good!).

thanks again!
 -jrg