[ros-users] Request: Please avoid using wiki attachments

Ken Conley kwc at willowgarage.com
Thu Mar 8 18:54:42 UTC 2012

As many noticed, the ROS wiki had some uptime issues in recent weeks.
We have tracked this down to inefficiencies with MoinMoin's attachment
system. While we have removed the top causes of the instability, this
is likely to crop up again with continued use.  We ask that you avoid
using attachments on the ROS wiki as much as possible.  In most cases
where we have seen attachments, the file could have easily instead
been offered from a source code repository.  For example, rosinstall
files and source code examples are much more easily maintained within
a source control system.

We cannot disable this feature without removing existing attachments,
so we ask for your help in reducing the load on the server.  In the
case of particular attachments that are causing issues, you may
receive e-mails to ask you to remove the attachment.

regards,

 -- your friendly neighborhood wiki maintainers