[ros-users] A customizable user interface for ROS

Jonathan Claassens jclaassens at csir.co.za
Thu May 10 19:53:27 UTC 2012

Hi All,

For the past few months I've been developing a Python scriptable GUI for ROS that can substitute for RViz, but the main focus was to create something that would allow a developer to rapidly craft a user interface for a nontechnical user.  It's still very early days and I'd hazard to call the repository even alpha yet, however anyone interested in having a look can find it at
https://github.com/jonclaassens/cri/wiki

Key features are that ROS nodes can submit scripts to the visualizer to associate them with standard rViz markers.  Scripts can be made to execute when the marker is interacted with in a number of ways.  The menu environment of the visualizer is written entirely in PyQT and interacts with a C++ core through published getter-setter functions and callbacks.

I'll be maturing the program over the next few weeks and adding a few tutorials.  Comments/suggestions/criticisms would be appreciated...

Best regards
Jon

and is believed to be clean.