[ros-users] New Documentation Generation and Indexing for ros.org

Christian Dornhege dornhege at informatik.uni-freiburg.de
Mon Nov 5 09:59:34 UTC 2012

On 03.11.2012 14:02, Patrick Goebel wrote:
> Sorry to be so dense everyone, but can someone tell me if packages that
> have long existed in the indexer for ROS Electric (e.g. pi_face_tracker)
> need to be resubmitted to ros-users to have the correct header created
> on the Wiki page?  At the moment, all my old Wiki pages have the
> following message at the top even for Electric:
>
> Cannot load information on*name: pi_face_tracker, distro: electric*,
> which means that it is not yet in our index. Please seethis page
> <http://www.ros.org/wiki/Get%20Involved#Indexing_Your_.2A-ros-pkg_Repository_for_Documentation_Generation>for
> information on how to submit your repository to our index.
>
> And it appears that it is not just my packages but others (e.g.
> face_recognition).  Or is the new requirement that the package has to
> exist as a Debian package?

It is the same for our packages. Let me quote Eitan's reply to my question:

On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 5:57 AM, Christian Dornhege
<dornhege at informatik.uni-freiburg.de> wrote:
 > Was this behavior maybe changed at some time? I remember it indexing
our trunk/ URL. Now it seems that only the packages are indexed that
have been released as debs.

The behavior for electric documentation always worked this way. However,
there was a separate indexer that ran off of rosinstall files
documenting whatever was in them, but that is no longer run in favor of
the new system. It's possible that this old indexer produced your
headers and documentation, but the docs for electric specifically were
never generated. With the old wiki, no one would have noticed this as
per-distro browsing wasn't something that was really possible to do. The
old indexer job was kind of weird to begin with since it could allow for
documentation to be mixed between distros... leading to some weird effects.

Best,
   Christian