[ros-users] New Documentation Generation and Indexing forros.org

Johannes Meyer meyer at fsr.tu-darmstadt.de
Wed Nov 7 09:41:25 UTC 2012

On 06.11.2012 16:40, Armin Hornung wrote:
> On 2012-11-06 16:23, Eitan Marder-Eppstein wrote:
>> If there's a ton of demand to have headers generated for electric,
>> there might be a way for me to create a hybrid system of the old and
>> new indexers, but it's an item that hasn't been high on my priority
>> list.
>
> According to David Lu's recent poll, a third of the participating ROS
> users are still on electric, so I would think that this information is
> certainly needed by quite a few users! This is even more important for
> the non-released stacks I'd say, since the indexer gives the repo
> information to check out. Released stacks are easier to find and
> install in the package manager.
+1

Before the upgrade to the new indexer, the standard way of having
repositories and stacks added to the ros.org indexer was to announce
them on this mailing list and someone added it to the repos.list or
extras.rosinstall files in the rosdoc_rosorg package. But currently no
indexer seems to care for these files, as they are not distro-specific.
E-mailing to ros-users is still the documented procedure for electric
and earlier
(http://www.ros.org/wiki/Get%20Involved#Electric_and_earlier). I assume
that most user contributed packages have been added this way.

Would it be possible to add or copy them somewhere so that rosdoc_lite
parses them for electric and earlier again? If performance is an issure,
in my opinion the most important thing is to have the wiki macros
working again, not necessarily the generation of all that nice doxygen
stuff.

>> Once this issue is fixed, however, the idea is that stack maintainers
>> can see why their builds are failing or unstable and make fixes to
>> their repositories as needed.
> That information will be surely useful, although I would suggest to
> not display it that prominently as first information on the wiki page
> and highlighted in bold. I would show it (along with the last indexed
> date) smaller and faded like the "last changed" information at the
> bottom. Maybe even hide it by default and make it expandable, or put
> it to the bottom of the page?
>

> Cheers,
> Armin

Regards,