[ros-users] Debuggin ROS_COMM deserializer

Claudio Carbone cla_carbone at tiscali.it
Thu Nov 29 11:01:17 UTC 2012

Regarding endianness determination, I built this simple program (thanks
stackoverflow!)

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <stdint.h>

int is_big_endian(void)
{
     union {
         uint32_t i;
         char c[4];
     } bint = {0x01020304};

     return bint.c[0] == 1;
}

int isLittleEndian()
{
     short int number = 0x1;
     char *numPtr = (char*)&number;
     return (numPtr[0] == 1);
}
/*
  *
  */
int main(int argc, char** argv) {

     int result;
     result = is_big_endian();
     printf("First test, is Big Endian : %s\n",result ? "True" : "False");
     //printf("Raw result: %d\n",result);

     result = isLittleEndian();
     printf("Second test, is Little Endian : %s\n",result ? "True" :
"False");
     //printf("Raw result: %d\n",result);
     return (EXIT_SUCCESS);
}

Both methods return little_endian on both my x86 and my ARM machines.
So endianness shouldn't be the problem.

I'm now recompiling roscpp with a few printfs where Cedric indicated to
see what's happening, but only on the ARM.
On the x86 I have ROS installed from binaries and I'd rather not
recompile everything there too.

Claudio