[ros-users] Release tarballs for Fuerte

Justin Bronder jsbronder at gentoo.org
Thu Oct 4 18:52:24 UTC 2012

On 28/09/12 17:13 -0700, Tully Foote wrote:
> Hi Justin,
>
> The equivalent data is available from the apt-get source or directly from
> packages.ros.org in the browser (for example geometry can be found in the
> new system at:
> http://packages.ros.org/ros/ubuntu/pool/main/r/ros-groovy-geometry/ )

This is a bit less than ideal but as long as those .orig.tar.gz files stay
available after new releases and unchanged it'll work.  If there are plans
for them to disappear after new releases perhaps you'd consider making them
available in a similar fashion as before?

> For older versions you can pull it from the git buildpackage repositories
> listed in the new rosdistro files:
> https://github.com/ros/rosdistro/blob/master/releases/fuerte.yaml  We are
> using the git-buildpackge infrastructure.
>
> From your email I'm assuming you're thinking of packaging for gentoo.  The
> new system has been restructured to be more cleanly abstract packaging.
>  And the release tool, bloom, has been designed to be extendable for
> platforms other than debian ones.  If you'd like to start a discussion
> about how to do that I suggest that you move it over to the buildsystem sig
> mailing list.  http://www.ros.org/wiki/groovy/Planning/Buildsystem

I'll gladly join in the discussion over there if necessary.  However, as
bloom seems to be based on git-buildpackage it really doesn't relate to a
source based distribution such as Gentoo at all.  We really just need access
to tarballs.

Thanks,

--
Justin Bronder