[ros-users] SwisTrack for ROS

goncabrita at gmail.com goncabrita at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 16:09:53 UTC 2012

Hi everyone,

I recently used swistrack on a project, since everything here runs on ROS I had to use swistrack in ROS.

Thanks to ROS answers I found out that someone at the University of Arizona had already ported siwstrack to ROS:
$roslocate info swistrack
- svn:
    local-name: swistrack
    uri: http://ua-ros-pkg.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/arrg/ua_experimental/swistrack
I did not manage to compile that on ROS Fuerte, so I played around with it till it finally worked. Then I added our IP camera at the lab to the list of input devices, created a _msgs pkg for the output and I created a node for publishing the tf of the odometry of each robot to the map frame (similar to what amcl does).

I have a working copy on my computer and I'm guessing this might be useful to someone out there, so I'm wondering if the guys at the UA repository want to host this, or if I should put it online on our repository.

I currently have a stack I called swistrackros, inside it has swistrack (which I downloaded from UA and updated), swistrack_msgs and swistrack_broadcaster.

Best regards,

Gonçalo Cabrita