[ros-users] Message serialization, rviz, and offline messages

Ivan Dryanovski ivan.dryanovski at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 22:17:29 UTC 2012

Hi everyone,

Does there exist a way view a ROS message from a file (non-rosbag)
directly in rviz? I was thinking that would be a nice addition.

Basically, I'm looking for a C++ (or python) API that allows the user to
save a single message of arbitrary type to a file. The rviz message
display can then be modified to load messages from a file, in addition
to the existing functionality to subscribe to a topic. This could
perhaps be implemented using URI's, for example

topic://scan

vs

file:///home/username/ros/myscan.rosmsg

This would be useful in many situations, especially for examining large
saved images, 2d/3d maps, pointclouds, etc.

Has any of this been implemented, and does anyone have comments on this
idea?

Cheers,

Ivan