[ros-users] Compiling and installing ROS in Debian Squeeze

Tully Foote tfoote at willowgarage.com
Thu Oct 4 04:53:07 UTC 2012

Hi Leo,

Thanks for contributing these resources It will help people looking to use
debian greatly.

If you'd like we could also work with you to try to merge debian support
upstream.  Our whole infrastructure could be extended to support debian
codenames as well as ubuntu ones. We don't have time to actively support
Debian releases but patches in that direction would be accepted.  Related
to this we could consider providing your backports in the main ROS repos as
we do for Ubuntu.

Jack's spot on with respect to PCL.  The problem is that PCL standalone
defines symbols which collide with the ROS messages.  This is an artifact
of the early development process, and can't be fixed without an api
breaking change on either side.  To build the same version as in ROS see
this repository [1] It is a git-buildpackage repository with all the tags
generated for Ubuntu, and can easily be extended for other debian codenames
into sourcedebs.

Tully

[1] https://github.com/wg-debs/perception_pcl-release

Tully Foote