[ros-users] Compiling and installing ROS in Debian Squeeze

Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda leo at alaxarxa.net
Thu Oct 4 10:27:43 UTC 2012

A Dijous 04 Octubre 2012, Tully Foote va escriure:
> On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 1:50 AM, Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda
> <leo at alaxarxa.net>wrote:
>
> > Hi Tully,
> >
> > A Dijous 04 Octubre 2012, Tully Foote va escriure:
> > > Thanks for contributing these resources It will help people looking to
> > use
> > > debian greatly.
> >
> > I need to make some documentation. I hope soon.
> >
> > > If you'd like we could also work with you to try to merge debian support
> > > upstream.  Our whole infrastructure could be extended to support debian
> > > codenames as well as ubuntu ones. We don't have time to actively support
> > > Debian releases but patches in that direction would be accepted.
Related
> > > to this we could consider providing your backports in the main ROS repos
> > as
> > > we do for Ubuntu.
> >
> > Perfect, my propose is to create some kind of debian-robotics derivative
in
> > the way to install easily ros/orocos/ whatever robotics software in a
> > debian
> > distro. I manage a group of boxes in a robotics' lab and it's a pain to
> > maintain ROS in this boxes. It's easy (I doubt it also ...) if you have a
> > ubuntu box and a monouser (or few users) but a multiuser box is ... uff.
> >

> > > Jack's spot on with respect to PCL.  The problem is that PCL standalone
> > > defines symbols which collide with the ROS messages.  This is an
artifact
> > > of the early development process, and can't be fixed without an api
> > > breaking change on either side.
> >
> > thanks for the explanation. Now it's more clear.
> >
> > > To build the same version as in ROS see
> > > this repository [1] It is a git-buildpackage repository with all the
tags
> > > generated for Ubuntu, and can easily be extended for other debian
> > codenames
> > > into sourcedebs.
> >
> > Ok I don't understand this. Are you saying that the repo [1] has a version
> > of
> > the perception package that could compile with a stand-alone version of
> > pcl?
> >
> > Otherwise it's not easy (at least for me) to create a debian (pure Debian,
> > not
> > Ubuntu) package from that sources. It requires the catkin package and by
> > now,
> > waiting the fhs transition it's not easy to prepare.
> >

> Sorry I pointed to the wrong repo.  This is the repo with the version of
> pcl integrated with ROS which we're using for groovy and fuerte now.  It's
> installs in close to fhs style.  We've generated debian control files for
> ubuntu, but you can use git-buildpackage's command generate-debian for
> generating any of the pure debian codenames as well.
>
> https://github.com/ros-gbp/pcl-release

Ok, now it's clear. But, if I'm trying to build a fuerte system, using the
sources, now to create this version of pcl I need:

[...]
ros-groovy-catkin,
ros-groovy-ros-comm,
ros-groovy-flann,
ros-groovy-std-msgs,
ros-groovy-common-msgs,
ros-groovy-roscpp-core
[...]

understanding that ros-groovy-flann is libflann-dev. So do I have to create
this packages?

Will be collision betweend std-msgs and the std-msgs installed in
/opt/ros/fuerte?

> > <rant mode>
> > It's really so complicate to have a full ROS system in a no ubuntu box!!!
> > </rant mode>
>

> It's just as complicated on Ubuntu, we've just jumped through the hoops
> already ;-)

So, _we_ are doing something wrong ... :-)

Regards,

Leo

Linux User 152692
Catalonia