[ros-users] Release tarballs for Fuerte

Tully Foote tfoote at willowgarage.com
Thu Oct 4 21:25:32 UTC 2012

On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 12:54 PM, Jack O'Quin <jack.oquin at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 1:52 PM, Justin Bronder <jsbronder at gentoo.org>
> wrote:
> > On 28/09/12 17:13 -0700, Tully Foote wrote:
> >> Hi Justin,
> >>
> >> The equivalent data is available from the apt-get source or directly
> from
> >> packages.ros.org in the browser (for example geometry can be found in
> the
> >> new system at:
> >> http://packages.ros.org/ros/ubuntu/pool/main/r/ros-groovy-geometry/ )
> >
> > This is a bit less than ideal but as long as those .orig.tar.gz files
> stay
> > available after new releases and unchanged it'll work.  If there are
> plans
> > for them to disappear after new releases perhaps you'd consider making
> them
> > available in a similar fashion as before?
> >

> >> For older versions you can pull it from the git buildpackage
> repositories
> >> listed in the new rosdistro files:
> >> https://github.com/ros/rosdistro/blob/master/releases/fuerte.yaml  We
> are
> >> using the git-buildpackge infrastructure.
> >>
> >> From your email I'm assuming you're thinking of packaging for gentoo.
>  The
> >> new system has been restructured to be more cleanly abstract packaging.
> >>  And the release tool, bloom, has been designed to be extendable for
> >> platforms other than debian ones.  If you'd like to start a discussion
> >> about how to do that I suggest that you move it over to the buildsystem
> sig
> >> mailing list.  http://www.ros.org/wiki/groovy/Planning/Buildsystem
> >
> > I'll gladly join in the discussion over there if necessary.  However, as
> > bloom seems to be based on git-buildpackage it really doesn't relate to a
> > source based distribution such as Gentoo at all.  We really just need
> access
> > to tarballs.

The git repository is a convenient way to collect both the upstream
versions and the associated packaging metadata.  As well as a way to keep
track of patches against upstream if they exist.

You will find the raw tar of upstream in the upstream branch, with tags for
each import.  In the releases branch we keep the version of the package
we're releasing with any potential non debian specific patches, with tags
for each version.  And then there are there are the debian branches and
tags with debian specific packaging.  This way all the information is
collected together.  We've cleaned this up recently in groovy from fuerte,
which was more pure git-buildpackage.

For a concrete example with patching take opencv for groovy:
The repo is at: https://github.com/ros-gbp/opencv2-release
The upstream releases 2.4.1 and 2.4.2 have been imported to tags
upstream/2.4.1 and upstream/2.2.4
There is the release tag release/opencv2/2.4.2 (with the patch for ros
compatability, adding a package.xml used for the debian packaging)
And several debian tags of the form
debian/ros-groovy-opencv2_2.4.2-*_DISTRO for our incremental releases.

All the tags are available as tarballs either using git export commands or
if on github via the tag download urls listed at :
https://github.com/ros-gbp/opencv2-release/tags

So if you're looking to package for gentoo, I suggest using the release
tags which are potentially patched(most arent') but before the debian
metadata generation.

The release process has been designed to be extendable.  Only the last step
is debian specific and we hope in the future it can be extended to build
rpms for redhat systems as well as homebrew packages, and potentially even
automate the generation of gentoo source packages, the output of this
system is just source packages, nothing is built at this stage.

This will be better documented soon.

tldr; Use the tarball export features of git or github to pull tarballs
from the repo.

Tully

> Catkin provides a source-based install mechanism. Some of us believe
> source-based installs are important and should be supported as an
> essential mechanism.
>
> Others have different priorities. Therefore, your input could be helpful.
> --
>  joq

Tully Foote
tfoote at willowgarage.com