[ros-users] libfreenect based Kinect driver

Piyush piyushk at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 05:49:37 UTC 2012

Thanks for pointing me to your driver Kevin. I'll take a look at it.

About the stability issues of openni, here is my personal take on the
matter. I believe necessary action has been taken by members of the
ROS community. This thread captures a lot of it:
http://answers.ros.org/question/33622/openni_launch-not-working-in-fuerte-ubuntu-precise-1204/.
Unfortunately, I was unable to get any of the solutions to work. At
this time, I am not sure what the next best step is.

libfreenect is considerably simpler, easier to follow through, and
does not launch a separate daemon. More importantly, I can get it to
work. This might not be the best reason, but I found the libfreenect
based kinect_camera stack back in diamondback quite stable and easy to
use. Ever since the move to OpenNI, I have seen problems because of
driver instability or API transitions. This has led me to believe
(perhaps erroneously) that a libfreenect based driver will be more
stable. The caveat of course is that you cannot use other primesense
devices through the same driver, but I don't think this is a big
issue.

Piyush,