[ros-users] libfreenect based Kinect driver

Brian Gerkey gerkey at osrfoundation.org
Wed Oct 17 15:38:45 UTC 2012

hi,

I agree that freenect is far simpler and easier to wrap your head
around.  Whenever I've tried to do something unusual with a kinect
(e.g., attach it to Gumstix), I've gone with freenect instead of
openni.  On the other hand, openni does, AFAIK, offer more features
and is, at least in principle, supported by the folks who designed the
chips.

On the third hand, the openni-based driver in ROS only really worked
well for a brief period when 1 or 2 people were working on it,
essentially full time, to quash bugs and stability problems.  Frankly,
that's more overhead than is warranted for any driver.  Talking to a
piece of hardware should be a once-and-done exercise.

I'm pretty sure that we'd be giving up something if we choose freenect
over openni, but I think that we'd all prefer stability over features.
 The most important thing is that someone who cares enough to work on
it step and take ownership of the driver; it's been orphaned since
Patrick left Willow in the spring.

    brian.