[ros-users] libfreenect based Kinect driver

Piyush piyushk at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 17:28:02 UTC 2012

To add to Brian's email:
1) The libfreenect API is sufficient to replicate the OpenNI ROS
driver. As Brian mentioned, OpenNI itself supports more functionality
(see openni.org). I actually don't know how well this extended
functionality was supported in ROS, since I have never touched it.
2) I am willing to take ownership/maintenance of a libfreenect based
driver. The Kinect is the primary sensor on our robots, and I don't
want to find an alternative at this stage. If you plan on using this
libfreenect based driver on a platform other than Ubuntu, I will need
help with testing/patches.

About the audio:
1) libfreenect mentions the audio, but it is not well documented.
2) This won't be very high on my priority list. Patches enabling
support will be more than welcome.

In either case, I'll move ahead with the driver as I find time later
this week and work on a rosrelease.

Thanks!
Piyush