[ros-users] libfreenect based Kinect driver

Jonathan Binney jbinney at willowgarage.com
Wed Oct 17 22:25:53 UTC 2012

I'm also curious about whether libfreenect has support for the Asus Xtion.

It seems that primesense is no longer improving the 1.x version of the
openni driver, and the 2.x version is a ways off. That said, Willow Garage
is working on improving openni driver situation for the asus and the
kinect.  I don't have a firm date on when there will be a nicely working
version for ubuntu 12.04, but people are actively working on it and things
should improve over the next couple of months, so don't lose hope.

At the same time, having a libfreenect-based ROS node sounds like a great
idea. Neither the openni or libfreenect solution seem to have everything
that everyone needs, so people will be able to choose which package to use
based on the device they are using, the OS they are on, and the exact
features they need. Wherever possible, the two should have similar APIs, in
terms of the ROS topics that they publish and the parameters that they
expose.

-Jon Binney