[ros-users] libfreenect based Kinect driver

Piyush piyushk at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 17:00:28 UTC 2012

Hi All,

Given that there are a number of people interested in the libfreenect
driver, I have created a google group:
ros-freenect-dev at groups.google.com. We can continue specific
libfreenect implementation and platform discussions there. Please sign
up if you are interested.

Jon, it is great to know that there is a work being done on the OpenNI
driver. I agree that it should be possible to use the 2 drivers
interchangeably. The current libfreenect port on github uses the same
openni_camera API (including internal transitions between rgb and ir).
As long as the API does not change in whatever work you guys are
doing, the drivers should be pretty compatible. We can eventually
figure out and fix any minor differences.

Ivan has pointed out a fork of libfreenect that handles the Asus Xtion
that I was not aware about. We can get around to working on that once
the Kinect version is ready. I think I have a few of these ones
somewhere.

Thanks!
Piyush