[ros-users] New Documentation Generation and Indexing for ros.org

Eitan Marder-Eppstein eitan at hidof.com
Fri Oct 26 18:06:23 UTC 2012

Hey all,

A few things:

* The old wiki macros only ever displayed headers from the latest
successful run of the indexer. They never displayed headers from different
distros. So, there was actually no way to tell previously if documentation
was broken for electric or diamondback without clicking on something like
the "Code API" link or going to the documentation directly.

* Take the nao_driver package for example. The following page exists (
http://ros.org/doc/api/nao_driver/), but the three distro specific pages do
not (http://ros.org/doc/fuerte/api/nao_driver/,
http://ros.org/doc/electric/api/nao_driver/,
http://ros.org/doc/diamondback/api/nao_driver/). This means that, at one
point, documentation for the nao_driver package succeeded, but we don't
even know in which distro that was. All we know is that it fails now, for
reasons that may not be at all related to that stack, on all three distros.
The good news is that it works with the new indexer:
http://ros.org/rosdoclite/fuerte/api/nao_driver/. So, when we switch over
Fuerte to the new doc system, things will display correctly. I'm leaning
towards doing this later today.

* The reason that roscpp lacks header information for Fuerte is actually
different. The ros_comm stack was ported over to catkin for Fuerte, but the
old documentation pipeline was never updated to support catkin-ized
packages. As such, roscpp was never properly documented for Fuerte.
However, no one noticed because the last successful run of the roscpp
header (which might have been in electric) was displayed and used on the
wiki.

* The information used to generate the browse pages is actually different
(in the old system) from the information used to generate the package
headers. So, the rosbrowse page isn't the most reliable way to see if
something is known by the indexer or properly documented. This will all
change with the new system though I still have to do some wiki macros work
to get browsing up with the new stuff.

* After writing this e-mail, I've decided to switch over the wiki for
Fuerte. I'll send out a separate announcement soon, but all of your pages
should work now. One thing to note is that, with Groovy switching over to
meta-packages, release pages will be based off of repositories rather than
stacks. In most cases, this amounts to using the same name but, for certain
SVN situations, like alufr-ros-pkg, you might want to change your
rosinstall file to list each stack separately with a local-name
corresponding to that of the stack. Otherwise, the indexer will assume that
you mean to release all of alufr-ros-pkg as a unit (since you document it
as a unit) and link to a page on the wiki called
http://www.ros.org/wiki/alufr-ros-pkg_trunk/Releases rather than something
like http://www.ros.org/wiki/octomap_ros/Releases<http://www.ros.org/wiki/alufr-ros-pkg_trunk/Releases>.
Also, there is still some work that needs to be done for auxiliary pages
like Releases, the Browse page, etc. to work correctly. So, just a heads up
that things there may be a little flaky for a day or two. Just to make my
local-name point clear, here's a rosinstall file for octomap_ros that would
lead to proper release links:

- svn:
    local-name: octomap_ros
    uri: