[ros-users] New Documentation Generation and Indexing for ros.org

Christian Dornhege dornhege at informatik.uni-freiburg.de
Wed Oct 31 12:57:34 UTC 2012

Hi,

> A few things:
> * Glad to hear that your stack headers are there for fuerte now. For
> electric, I'm not sure what's going on since that's still handled by the
> old documentation indexer. If I had to guess, I'd say that the packages
> in question might not be included in the documentation index used for
> electric. You can take a look at the list used here:
> https://code.ros.org/svn/ros/stacks/rosorg/trunk/rosdoc_rosorg/index/distro-electric.yaml.
> I think that's what the electric job runs off. If you need a repo to be
> indexed there, let me know and I can try to add it and see what happens.
Was this behavior maybe changed at some time? I remember it indexing our
trunk/ URL. Now it seems that only the packages are indexed that have
been released as debs.

See for example:
http://www.ros.org/wiki/freiburg_tools
fuerte and electric package list are very different.

If there is no electric release, there is no index:
http://www.ros.org/wiki/rxparamedit?distro=electric

Packages released for electric link to the release tag, fuerte to the
trunk/ (or probably what we put in the distro file via github).
http://www.ros.org/wiki/octomap_server

The yaml file you linked contains trunk/ and not the release tags, so I
have to admit I'm not really sure where the electric index is built off.

> * The removal of the "repo" link is intentional. We made the decision to
> remove automatic grouping of packages from the same "repo" as now most
> people are using DVCS which means that we end up with lots of repos per
> organization.  So, we're going to start recommending that people
> manually curate their organizations page to summarize and highlight
> their organizations contributions, and then link to those pages as they
> would to any other wiki reference.
>
> * The source link should still be there. With what package were you
> finding it to be lacking?

OK, now source links have reappeared, maybe it just needed some time.
But they only contain the link that is indexed, not the link to the
individual package, e.g. for
http://www.ros.org/wiki/rxparamedit?distro=fuerte
Is this intended?
I assume, this could be improved by making individual entries for
stacks, which we'll have to make for groovy anyways, but still would
only link to the stack source, not the package source.

Thank you for looking into this,

   Christian