[ros-users] GSoC 2013

Ankur Sinha sanjay.ankur at gmail.com
Tue Apr 23 11:55:59 UTC 2013

Hi,

I was looking through the list of suggested topics on the gsoc page[1]
and ran into this one:

"Develop ROS independent library for system dependency resolution"

I was wondering if I could maybe have some more information on this. For
instance, is the end goal something like "packagekit"[2], that can sit
on top of the various package managers and make system libraries easier
to install? Packagekit doesn't have it's own dep solver, it just calls
the various package managers in it's back-end and lets them do their
thing. Quoting the website: "Formally, PackageKit is a D-Bus abstraction
layer that allows the session user to manage packages in a secure way
using a cross-distro, cross-architecture API." From the description of
the gsoc project, a lot of work seems to already have been done in
packagekit. (There's a command line packagekit client too, it isn't just
a GUI)

I'm a fedora package maintainer, part of the fedora robotics sig and
have been assisting Rich Mattes with packaging Fuerte for Fedora. I'm
currently reviewing the packages he puts up. I'm therefore aware of some
of the challenges that need to be overcome to get ROS easily deployed on
$random_distro. I'm a masters by research student at the University of
Technology, Sydney. I'm using ROS for my research which uses the PR2 as
a platform (hence my interest in ROS). My research is to do with
navigation, where I focus on biological inspired navigation (head
cells/place cells/continuous attractor neural networks and the sort)

[1] http://wiki.osrfoundation.org/gsoc13
[2] http://www.packagekit.org/pk-intro.html
--
Thanks,