[ros-users] What is ROS 2.0?

Marcus Liebhardt marcus.liebhardt at yujinrobot.com
Fri Apr 26 00:39:21 UTC 2013

Hello everyone!

My latest finding of the term "ROS 2.0" in OSRF's GSoC description [1],
made me looking for its actual meaning, since I have no idea what it stands
for. I don't even know, which version we are using now, e.g. Groovy = 1.X?
Unfortunately, a quick Google search didn't bring up much.

So what is ROS 2.0 exactly? Are there any detailed plans for it yet? When
will it be released? What will it include (e.g. NextGen Comms)? Ah, so many
questions ... :-)

Since answering these might start of some discussions, I thought it's
better to ask here on ROS users. In case I am wrong and there is a clear
answer, I am happy to re-ask it on ROS Answers and port the answer there.

Cheers,
Marcus

[1]
http://wiki.osrfoundation.org/gsoc13#Develop_new_Parameter_API_for_C.2B-.2B-_ROS_client