[ros-users] ROS Packages Mantainer Statusvvvv

Tully Foote tfoote at osrfoundation.org
Sat Apr 27 03:09:54 UTC 2013

Hi Everyone,

I'm happy to announce that with the upgrades to the ROS infrastructure,
specifically REP 137, we can now provide a maintainer status for catkin
based packages for Groovy [1] and Hydro [2].  If you browse these status
pages you will see now not just the versions and build status, but also the
maintainer and the maintenance status.  This is part of our effort to make
the development status of packages more easily discoverable to users.

All packages are initialized to unknown and maintainers are asked to submit
a pull request to state that they will maintain the package for this
rosdistro.  Each successive rosdistro will request that maintainers
resubmit pull requests to declare their intent to continue maintaining the
package.  After most maintainers are filled in and the state of the system
is determined we will put out a call for adoption for packages which do not
have active maintainers.

We have 4 supported maintenance levels:
developed
maintained
unmaintained
end-of-life

More details the status definitions can be found in REP 137 [3]

If you are a maintainer please submit a pull request to state the expected
level of maintenance.  If you are not currently a maintainer please
consider reviewing packages which you use or care about and consider
volunteering to maintain them if there is a call for adoption.  Being a
maintainer is not a large commitment to do significant development, it is
simply to keep packages up to date and make the occasional release.

To update maintainer status you need to submit a pull request to the
rosdistro repo.  Some examples are included below.

Tully

[1] http://www.ros.org/debbuild/groovy.html
[2] http://www.ros.org/debbuild/hydro.html
[3] http://ros.org/reps/rep-0137.html