[ros-users] New Parameter Server

Michael Gratton mikeg at cse.unsw.edu.au
Wed Apr 17 02:31:01 UTC 2013

On 17/04/13 11:59, Ken Conley wrote:
> I'm more dubious in switching the Parameter Server to a full-blown
> database, or, at least, I think you will have something very different
> by the end of it.  To me, the Parameter Server is just a config server,
> and making it better means putting more config there, and making things
> like Dynamic Reconfigure work better.

+1.

I would like to see something like the GLib GSettings API[0], which is
mature, ergonomic, and works quite well. Notably, programs that use
GSettings can receive signals (roughly GLib's equivalent of ROS's
messages) when a setting has changed.

If nothing else, it might be worthwhile to evaluate and compare existing
configuration APIs like ros::param, GSettings and QT's QSettings to
compare approaches and to see what would work best for ROS. After all -
the important question is what will the API look like, not how it is
implemented.

//Mike

[0] - https://developer.gnome.org/gio/unstable/GSettings.html

--
Michael Gratton <http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~mikeg/>
UNSW School of Computer Science and Engineering.