[ros-users] New Parameter Server

Thibault Kruse kruset at in.tum.de
Wed Apr 17 09:01:14 UTC 2013

Hi Gonzalo,

about a year ago I had similar ideas. I thought about having a separate
Param server ROS node which would receive and serve params as ROS
messages. This would allow easily using the same toolset for params as
for other messages. E.g. recording param changes with rosbag, or setting
a param using interactive markers in rviz.
This would also mean easy adoption for non-C++ languages which already
deal with ROS messages.
The API should allow to create a UI similar to the one for
dynamic_reconfigure, meaning nodes should advertise the parameters they
dynamically consume, with type and range information.

The main technical problem I had with that approach was creating a ROS
message in C++ based on command-line parameters, as I had no way to
figure out the required datatype of single parameters of ROS messages. I
think I had a draft REP ready, I'll send it to you if I can still find it.

There were other subtle problems to consider, such as the lifecycle of
params. E.g. does a parameter live and die with the paramserver node, or
does it live and die with its "parent" node, or are combinations of both
possible? Similarly how to have protected namespaces for the dynamic
params of each node on the paramserver node, and whether to allow nodes
to set (each other's) params on the parameter server.

When I talked to Ken about the larger concept, he said pretty much what
he says now, and that a Redis based solution would offer more features
with less development/maintenance effort. And maintenance effort is IMO
the largest challenge currently to the ROS ecosystem.

Also at the time I was under the (false) impression that ROS2.0 was
something to happen soon and would change everything, so I did not
continue to work on that.
Right now I am not sure whether it is useful to mention ROS2.0 at all.

regards,
   Thibault