[ros-users] New Parameter Server

William Woodall william at osrfoundation.org
Wed Apr 17 18:38:05 UTC 2013

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 11:25 AM, Austin Hendrix <legotown at aol.com> wrote:

> I think the most important thing to consider with respect to the parameter
> server is the API;

+1

All of this is good input, but the (proposed) goal of the GSoC is to come
up with a better way to declare, initialize, and interact with parameters
which lands squarely on configuration and API, but not necessarily
implementation details. The GSoC calls specifically for C++ API to be
redesigned, but something to consider is the Python API which would be an
obvious extension to the work proposed.

Implementation details will obviously drive or constrain the API in subtle
ways, but are less important at this stage. If the result of the project is
a standalone solution then it can be rolled out along side the existing ROS
parameters with an implementation based on the current ROS ecosystem. If
the design calls for more extensive changes to existing ROS constructs
(like changes to the master, replacing the parameter server, or extensive
changes to roscpp) then we will have to make decisions based on backwards
compatibility. Either way we will use this design in the ROS2.0 effort
where we can make a cleaner API without as many problems with API
collisions.

William Woodall
ROS Development Team
william at osrfoundation.org