[ros-users] Hydro Status Update - rosbuild debian package support

Tully Foote tfoote at osrfoundation.org
Thu Aug 22 01:15:41 UTC 2013

Hi Everyone,

We are now approximately one week away from the Hydro release.  Thank you
to all the maintainers who have worked hard to make Hydro our most complete
release prior to release.  We have reached 670 packages already released
into Hydro during Beta. And expect several more in the next week. There
have been 350 commits to the release repository in the last month, which is
over 10 per day. [1]

All of these releases have been using the new bloom based release system
building on top of catkin.  This is an amazing achievement  putting us well
ahead of our estimate of achieving this for Indigo.

Having achieved this coverage and having no perceivable demand for rosbuild
based binary releases(aka zero releases so far) we plan to drop support for
building debian packages using the old rosbuild based release system. This
is moving this change forward one release. The main reason for this is that
it will save approximately half the work of running the buildfarm and allow
us to put the energy into other areas which are in higher demand. (Possibly
things such as adding support for armhf)

Note that you will still be able to build and run dry packages with
rosbuild and rosmake from source.  We are only going to drop support for
releasing them into debian packagse.

Tully

[1] https://github.com/ros/rosdistro/pulse/monthly