[ros-users] Multiple packages with similar functionalities (ueye camera)

Isaac Isao Saito iisaito at opensource-robotics.tokyo.jp
Wed Dec 4 13:08:25 UTC 2013

Following Kevin Hallenbeck's offering, I suggest to borrow his
repository to continue further discussion about unifying features that
are distributed over multiple ROS packages.

https://bitbucket.org/kmhallen/ueye/issue/7/merge-features-from-other-ueye-related-ros

Please note, with a risk of sounding contradictory, that I'm not
forcing multiple packages with similar features to merge into a single
package (if I was doing so, that would be a very good counter example
of opensource advocate). It's just that I would appreciate as a user a
single package that comes with the most complete set of features.

If there's any good practice/mechanism in ROS or in opensource in
general to avoid package-collision like this, I think more than a few
of us would get interested in it (surprisingly Googling is sometimes
not just enough).

Thanks,
Isaac

--
!Happy opensource robotics!

Isao Isaac Saito (齋藤功)
Software Engineer, Co-founder
TORK (Tokyo Opensource Robotics Kyokai Association, 東京オープンソースロボティクス協会)
http://opensource-robotics.tokyo.jp