[ros-users] problems with persistent services

Daniel Pinyol ros at dpinol.com
Thu Feb 7 15:05:26 UTC 2013

Hi,
sorry for the technical spam in this forum, but we've been suffering
this show-stopper for 3 years, and I cannot imagine how it's not also
blocking other people. Maybe we're doing something wrong?

   - We have a robot with around 200 services
   - From long ago, we avoid completely non persistent ROS services. This
   is because, when they're often used (at a few Hz), they create thousands of
   TCP sockets, which heavily affects the machine performance.
   - But a big problem with persistent services is that clients hang when
   the service is rebooted. See https://code.ros.org/trac/ros/ticket/2742
   - Also, we have just found out that both in fuerte and groovy, clients
   freeze when a ROS service returns a false. At least with Ubuntu 12.4 See
   https://github.com/ros/ros_comm/issues/168

Anybody had these problems? Any workaround?

Thank you

--

Daniel Pinyol
Software Manager

daniel.pinol at pal-robotics.com
www.pal-robotics.com

[image: cid:image003.png at 01CAC1D4.21F0FEF0]

PAL Robotics, S.L.
c/ Pujades 77-79, 4º4ª
08005 Barcelona
Spain
Tel      +34 93 414 53 47
Fax     +34 93 209 11 09
Skype:  daniel.pal-robotics

Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/palrobotics1> -
Twitter<http://twitter.com/#%21/palrobotics>
 - PAL Robotics YouTube Channel <http://www.youtube.com/user/PALRobotics>

P Antes de imprimir este e-mail piense bien si es necesario hacerlo: El
medioambiente es cosa de todos.

AVISO DE CONFIDENCIALIDAD: Este mensaje y sus documentos adjuntos, pueden
contener información privilegiada y/o confidencial que está dirigida
exclusivamente a su destinatario.  Si usted recibe este mensaje y no es el
destinatario indicado, o el empleado encargado de su entrega a dicha
persona, por favor, notifíquelo inmediatamente y remita el mensaje original
a la dirección de correo electrónico indicada. Cualquier copia, uso o
distribución no autorizados de esta comunicación queda estrictamente
prohibida.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and the accompanying document(s) may
contain confidential information which is privileged and intended only for
the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.  If you are not the
distribution or use of this e-mail and/or accompanying document(s) is
strictly prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please
immediately notify the sender at the above e-mail address.