[ros-users] answers.ros.org is the hell

William Woodall wwoodall at willowgarage.com
Wed Feb 20 09:54:30 UTC 2013

This is just my opinion, but I feel that QA systems like askbot and
stackexchange are far superior for this type of community effort than a
forum like phpbb.  Case in point, I almost never find the answer to my
programming or system administration problems on a forum anymore, I instead
find them on *.stackexchange.com.

I don't think it has to do with owning the data as much as the arduous
process of getting a stackexchange instance.  The
http://robotics.stackexchange.com/ has been working towards getting vetted
for a long time now, perhaps ROS questions/answers could live there in the
future, but having a dedicated ROS stackexchange is not feasible IMHO.