[ros-users] answers.ros.org is the hell

Marcus Liebhardt marcus.liebhardt at yujinrobot.com
Thu Feb 21 09:11:07 UTC 2013

On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 5:57 PM, Ugo Cupcic <ugo at shadowrobot.com> wrote:

> +1 for IRC to start discussions. I used to go on ros IRC but stopped as
> there wasn't anyone around most of the time.

+1 for bringing some life into the ROS IRC chat

-1 for using it for difficult problem solving:
While I would like the use of IRC to give newcomers more help and maybe
also to meet for discussing specific topics, I don't see benefits for
discussing difficult problems.
In the Q&A and normal forums everybody can add information, when he has
time to (thinking about busy workdays/weeks, different time zones etc.).
And also the information posted on those sites is more easier to find for
people having the same issue.

Marcus

> On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 9:19 AM, Claudio Carbone <cla_carbone at tiscali.it>wrote:
>

>> Marcus Liebhardt <marcus.liebhardt at yujinrobot.com> wrote:
>> >One thing I really do miss on the Q&A style forums is a place for
>> >discussing problems. It's great to ask specific questions people know
>> >answers to, but finding the root cause of a new problem together with
>> >others often turns into long lists of comments and/or answers, which do
>> >not
>> >really solve the problem. For those situations I would prefer a forum.
>> >Maybe we can find a way to bring both Q&A and forum together.
>>
>> Seeing how the POV here is about avoiding lengthy and unfruitful
>> discussions (forum style) but the need to do some discussion still
>> lingers,I would suggest pushing irc a bit more.
>>
>> There are about 10 people daily on the irc channel, I've ever only saw 2
>> or 3 saying anything beside me.
>>
>> I can see that as a decent place for impromptu discussion.
>>
>> Best regards
>> Claudio
>>
>> -- sent from my ParanoidAndroid Nexus with K-9 Mail.

> Ugo Cupcic | Shadow Robot Company | ugo at shadowrobot.com
> Senior Software Engineer | 251 Liverpool Road |
> need a Hand? | London N1 1LX | +44 20 7700 2487
> http://www.shadowrobot.com/hand/ @shadowrobot

Marcus Liebhardt
Control Engineer
Yujin Robot
주소: 대한민국 서울시 금천구 가산동 345-30 남성프라자 #601, 153-023.
Address: Door #601, Namsung-Plaza, 345-30 Gasan-dong, Guemcheon-gu, Seoul,
153-023, Republic of Korea
Website: http://www.yujinrobot.com
Email: marcus.liebhardt at yujinrobot.com
Phone: +82-70-46577073