[ros-users] ROS information organization

Jose Luis Rivero jrivero at osrfoundation.org
Thu Feb 21 11:48:35 UTC 2013

Good morning:

On 02/20/2013 10:00 AM, Claudio Carbone wrote:

> Just a little background in order not to appear as just a whining
> student not able to do his own homework.
> I started getting to know ROS around October 2012, and since then I
> found the way information is conveyed and displayed to be far from perfect.

I see a lot of criticism lately about ROS and I think it is time to
remember the people that ROS is an open source project and this has
deeply implications into the work flow and participation.

Claudio, you are suggesting a lot of useful changes in your mail.
Perfect, go and make them real. Because you can. Problems for an open
source project start when there is no chance for the users to
participate in development and decisions. Frankly, I've never seen ROS
going that way.

Edit wiki, fix bugs, test releases, propose changes, fix community
tools, ... there is a lot to do in an open source project. Criticism is
good but not enough.

--
Jose Luis Rivero <jrivero at osrfoundation.org>