[ros-users] REP for rosdistro files

Ken Conley kwc at kwc.org
Sat Feb 23 06:26:24 UTC 2013

+0  This is a bit too draft to vote on for my tastes (I do see the call for
help, but I'm not sure how one does that with a REP).

Sorry to be nitpicky, but this is a spec, so here are my nitpicks:

 * Master File:
  * Why type 'ros-distributions'? Took awhile for me to spot
'ros-distribution' vs. 'ros-distributions'.  If it's a 'master file', why
not 'master'?
  * ... though 'master' is already defined in ROS, so why not pick another
name altogether?

 * Why not just 'build', 'distribution' instead of 'ros-build',
'ros-distribution'. Also, the ros-build and ros-test create confused
meanings with rosbuild and rostest.

 * Distribution File:
   * "list a couple of repositories" -> "listing repositories"
   * Having different value types for 'targets' in the distribution file
vs. build file is confusing.  I'm also trying to understand if 'targets'
for distributions is really necessary

 * 'Build File', 'Test File': while I appreciate the simplicity of the
naming, it creates headaches for communication: "it's in the build file...
I wrote a test file."  Although less simple, 'Distro Build' and 'Distro
Test' would be clearer.

 * Distribution Cache File: this doesn't seem to belong in the spec or the
format as it is undefined.
 * File Formats:
   * Why not put these in the Specifications section so the definition and
formats can be read together (much easier to understand that way)
   * "We want to use the YAML file format for these files" -> this is a
spec, it should declarative.  "The format is YAML."
   * While I appreciate formatting rules, it encumbers the spec by placing
limiting machine write-ability.