[ros-users] SIG Mailing List Visibility

Tully Foote tfoote at willowgarage.com
Mon Feb 25 19:16:58 UTC 2013

On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 5:02 PM, Marcus Liebhardt <
marcus.liebhardt at yujinrobot.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 3:50 AM, Tully Foote <tfoote at willowgarage.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi Everyone,
>>
>> People have made requests to make our SIGs easier to find.
>>
>> We've added a wiki macro to be able to embed views of the Google Groups
>> used for SIG mailing lists into the Wiki.  Documentation of how to do so is
>> posted on the WIkiMacros page [1] I have demoed it on the Embedded SIG page
>> as well.
>>

> Nice! Thanks Tully!
>
> I would like to add a suggestion:
> As far as I understood, SIGs have been introduced as planning groups
> focusing on development in a certain area for a specific release. However,
> some areas are not only important for one release, but also for continuous
> development (e.g. manipulation: see fuerte/Planning/Manipulation,
> groovy/Planning/MobileManipulation).
>
> Hence, I'd like to propose to decouple the SIGs from the releases and
> promote them as developer groups focusing on specific topics, e.g. drivers,
> embedded, manipulation etc.
> Each SIG could then decide, which newly developed features they want to
> push into a specific release. Some SIGs are already working this way, e.g.
> multimaster: http://www.ros.org/wiki<http://www.ros.org/wiki/sig/Multimaster>
> /fuerte/Planning/Multimaster, http://www.ros.org/wiki<http://www.ros.org/wiki/sig/Multimaster>/groovy/Planning/Multimaster
> and http://www.ros.org/wiki/sig/Multimaster.
>
> Actually, the new landing page can by understood in a way, which
> implements my proposed change already. So, it might be only a matter of
> adding a small overview section to describe the purpose of the SIGs.

Due to the repeating nature of the SIG's we have updated the
recommendations already as you suggested to not scope the SIGs to just one
development cycle.  If you could add that small overview section that would
be very helpful.

> And last, but not least, we should promote them better, e.g. highlight
> them on http://www.ros.org/wiki/Get%20Involved (currently nested inside
> here:
> http://www.ros.org/wiki/Get%20Involved#Developer-related_Mailing_Lists).

That's a good idea.  I've also updated the Get Involved page to reference
the SIGs by name and gave a link to the landing page.

Tully

> What does the community think about that?
>

> Marcus
>

>> If you are active in a SIG please help by improving the sig landing page
>> [2[ by making it more complete. It's now linked from the homepage.
>>
>> Tully
>>

>> [1] http://www.ros.org/wiki/WikiMacros#GoogleGroups
>> [2] http://www.ros.org/wiki/sig
>>

>> --
>> Tully Foote
>> tfoote at willowgarage.com
>> (650) 475-2827

> Marcus Liebhardt
> Control Engineer
> Yujin Robot
> 주소: 대한민국 서울시 금천구 가산동 345-30 남성프라자 #601, 153-023.
> Address: Door #601, Namsung-Plaza, 345-30 Gasan-dong, Guemcheon-gu,
> Seoul, 153-023, Republic of Korea
> Website: http://www.yujinrobot.com
> Email: marcus.liebhardt at yujinrobot.com
> Phone: +82-70-46577073