[ros-users] Updated OpenNI libraries released

Justin Bronder jsbronder at gentoo.org
Thu Jan 10 21:44:25 UTC 2013

On 27/12/12 22:44 -0800, Tully Foote wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Today we have released a new version of the OpenNI libraries into the ROS
> debian packages.  These new libraries have been noteably more stable in our
> testing.
>
> In particular you will find that the ROS openni packages now depend on
> libopenni-dev and libopenni-sensor-primesense-dev where the packages used
> to be openni-dev and nite-dev.
>
> Because these packages are brought in from upstream and are not ABI
> compatible this requires a simultaneous release of electric, fuerte, and
> groovy packages to keep compatibility.  The new and old packages conflict
> with each other and cannot be installed at the same time.  This means that
> when you update or install the new drivers it will require you to remove
> the old drivers.  This may prompt you to delete packages from another
> distro at the same time, to overcome you can ask apt to install/upgrade the
> other distros at the same time.

Which "upstream" were these packages taken from?  Looking at
libopenni-sensor-primesense-dev for electric my best guess is that you have a
private fork somewhere that includes pieces of jspricke's [1] fork of avin2's
[2] fork of the actual upstream release [3].

It's all pretty confusing.

1. https://github.com/jspricke/debian-openni-sensor-avin2-sensorkinect
2. https://github.com/avin2/SensorKinect
3. https://github.com/PrimeSense/