[ros-users] Use cases for ROS on ARM based computers

Tully Foote tfoote at willowgarage.com
Sat Jan 12 21:10:53 UTC 2013

Hi Everyone,

There has been quite a bit of interest in running ROS on ARM architecture
processors. I know of many people using ROS on ARM processors.  There is
now instructions for installing ROS on the Raspberry Pi [1] [2] form
source.  Thanks to everyone who's contributed to those installation
instructions.

There are lots of additional steps possible for the Raspberry Pi
specifically, such as extending the debian package buiding infrastructure
to support armhf or developing good instructions for cross compiling.
(Compiling natively is slow but simpler.)

Likewise I'm aware of several people using ROS on other ARM based platforms
such as Gumstix, BeagleBoards and PandaBoards as well as others.

With the number of people using ROS on these processors it would be great
to share with the community what people are working on and where they would
like to see things go forward.

This might develop into it's own SIG going forward or potentially join the
embedded SIG. [3]

So if anyone is using ROS on ARM or would like to do so.  Please share your
use case(s) and hopefully we can get a group of people together to
collaborate to build up support for ROS on ARM.

Tully

[1] http://www.ros.org/wiki/groovy/Installation/Raspbian/Source
[2] http://ros.org/wiki/ROSberryPi/Setting%20up%20ROS%20on%20RaspberryPi
[3] http://www.ros.org/wiki/sig/Embedded