[ros-users] Use cases for ROS on ARM based computers

Bil Morris bill at iheartengineering.com
Sun Jan 13 00:39:21 UTC 2013

We have been evaluating Embedded/ARM based platforms, our main areas of
interest at the moment are OpenWRT based routers, Android hardware
running Ubuntu [1] / (De|Rasp)bian [2], Raspberry Pi and the BeagleBone.

On the Debian side it looks like it should be feasible [3] to build
multi-arch binaries [4] to handle most Arm platforms. For systems with
limited storage, the opkg [5] format may be useful.
ARM binaries for ROS and bloom cross compile automation would be really
helpful to speed up development.

For the OpenWRT router, we were originally planning on using rosjs[6]
for robot management, but being able to run a full install of ROS on the
router opens up some interesting possibilities for integrating robot
status indicators. Given it's position in the network it may make sense
as a place accumulate local information. One example of this is where
there are multiple shared docking stations and a robot may want to check
if a dock is available before driving towards it. It may also be worth
looking at running something like multi-master bridging on the router
itself.

The Nexus 7/Ubuntu tablet is part of what we are thinking about for
human robot interaction and part of our development planning for the
TurtleBot as we currently believe that by mid 2014 a currently
non-existent Tegra 5 should be able to achieve reasonable (YMMV)
performance working with point clouds and 3D sensors.

We have been evaluating the BeagleBone and the Raspberry Pi for some
computer vision applications such as loading and unloading robots. The
BeagleBone seems to have a little better hardware for what we need [7],
however the Raspberry Pi is lower cost and seems to be somewhat popular [8].

I'm not sure about the hardware requirements, but one thing I'm thinking
about adding to our to do list is an ARM system that just runs rviz/rqt
on a huge TV with a webpage or rosservice api to manage the subscribed
topics.

Bill

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Nexus7
[2] http://apc.io/order/