[ros-users] Use cases for ROS on ARM based computers

Soo-Hyun Yoo yoos117 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 21:52:43 UTC 2013

Hi Tully,

I've been using ROS on Arch for a while now, and recently on the
ODROID-X, which has a 1.4 GHz quad-core ARM Cortex-A9 on board. I will
be trying the same install on the ODROID-X2 next week, but I suspect
there will be no differences.

Having had to compile ROS from source for Arch, I found it fairly
straightforward to install Arch on the ODROID by following the same
ROS-on-Arch installation directions. The only nuisance was the
occasional system package that didn't officially support armv7h as an
architecture (where I had to implement some hacks) and making sure
that the compiler got the -mfloat-abi=hard flag where appropriate.

I (as part of a larger team) plan to use the ODROID-X2s for autonomous
indoor navigation of quadrotors. Being able to install ROS on ARM
boards without having to compile from source would be immensely
helpful!

Soo-Hyun Yoo
Autonomous Aerial Robotics Team
Oregon State University