[ros-users] Use cases for ROS on ARM based computers

Tommy Persson tommy.persson at liu.se
Mon Jan 14 21:59:02 UTC 2013

On 01/13/2013 07:41 PM, Ian wrote:
> I have experience using gumstix to run fuerte under debian 6.05 at
> Upenn's Modlab [1].  We compiled ROS-base from source in place without
> any real issues, and for our purposes (using ROS for networking and data
> serialization on the gumstix, and doing the heavy lifting on more
> powerful computers) it worked well.
>
> We opted to do all compilation locally on the gumstix, which was our one
> source of frustration; the shortest compilation times were measured in
> minutes.  A cross-compiling environment would have been worth the time
> to setup.

We have done something similar on the gumstix but using Ubuntu on the
gumstix. I am planning soon to test this with groovy.

The biggest problem for me was that data communication between ARM and
X86 did not work properly if the message contains an uint8. The padding
is different. This was if I remember correctly with fuerte. Have not
tested yet if groovy have the same bug.

I am very interested reading more about peoples work with ARM.

/Tommy Persson
Linköping University
Sweden