[ros-users] Current best practice for multiple interfaces

Mike Purvis mpurvis at clearpathrobotics.com
Tue Jan 15 21:43:24 UTC 2013

> I am not sure why the XML RPC server does not support binding to
> INADDR_ANY instead of a specific ip address.
>
> ... start ROS on boot and send SIGHUP to ROS whenever the WiFi interface
> bounces.

It almost seems like it should be possible to just do what we want just as
a reverse proxy; a tiny program that comes up, talks to the roscore to find
out what topics are on what ports, then opens up TCP servers on all of them
on the public IP, and forwards each through to ROS_IP:port as required.

Is there an obvious reason such a thing wouldn't work? Has it been tried?