[ros-users] Current best practice for multiple interfaces

Benjamin Johnston Benjamin.Johnston at uts.edu.au
Thu Jan 17 07:13:17 UTC 2013

> The idea of doing the ip address resolution on a DNS server sounds
> elegant! It decouples the network issues and ros a bit.
>
> However, in such environments there is another nuisance that regularly
> occurs: Some student's computer name may not be in the local DNS server
> (or worse, not in all the /etc/hosts files). We've spent hours of
> debugging just to find out that we had to set ROS_IP in those cases. At
> least in the past, roswtf didn't point that out. After a year or so we
> switched to dnsmasq - which publishes those hostnames on its dns server.
> But not everybody has that running. It is an implicit assumption that
> ros makes about the network infrastructure.

I've not used it personally but would Avahi (i.e., Bonjour) solve this problem for you?

I notice there is a zeroconf_avahi package for ROS but I would think that even if you only use Avahi for name resolution, then you'd have a fairly robust solution for communicating on any network with little setup, including those where you don't own the DNS infrastructure.

(Ignoring the INADDR_ANY issue discussed earlier)

-Ben

UTS CRICOS Provider Code: 00099F
DISCLAIMER: This email message and any accompanying attachments may contain confidential information.
If you are not the intended recipient, do not read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or
attachments. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete
this message. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the
sender expressly, and with authority, states them to be the views of the University of Technology Sydney.
Before opening any attachments, please check them for viruses and defects.

Think. Green. Do.